Oat and Almond Flour Pancakes

by Ann on July 1, 2009

final widepancakes1 Oat and Almond Flour Pancakes

Photo by Roland A. Manarin

Finally!  After countless attempts at different recipes for almond flour pancakes, these are fantastic.  They’re the first non white or wheat flour version my son didn’t spit out.  In this case, he shared a whole big plate of them with me.  I had to add oat flour of course to get it to a more agreeable consistency for him…well, and I like them better too.   In fact, my mom liked them and she’s extremely wary of healthy things.  And my brother, after taking the beautiful picture above, demolished the whole thing.  He’s like my mom in his suspicion of anything new and healthy.  He normally takes a bite of something most people would consider delicious and pushes the plate away because he doesn’t like sweets (except for cheesecake).  He doesn’t like nuts in his food either but he ate these pancakes with almond flour!

Strangely enough, I detect a slight marzipan flavor, but since I love marzipan, this is a nice surprise finish.  I never tasted the almonds when using only almond flour, but when mixing the flours and adding a little coconut water, the marzipan flavor comes out.  It’s just slight so don’t get too excited!  If you are gluten-free, you can buy the gluten-free oats online so you can try these.  I haven’t been able to find these oats locally, but you may have some available near you.  This recipe makes me smile because I’m in a sense eating a nice bowl of oatmeal with almonds for breakfast in the form of a pancake.  I don’t know if I’d add more pure, organic maple syrup to these or oatmeal, but at least these pancakes have some eggs for a bit of added protein!

recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup almond flour, blanched -loosly measured (do not pack the flour)
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (you can grind oats yourself in the food processor if you don’t want to buy the flour) loosly measured
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 TB agave nectar or sweetener of your choice
  • 1/4 cup coconut water, or water if you don’t want to buy coconut water.  If you want your pancakes fluffier, try soda water

Method:

• Pre-heat skillet to 350
  • Add eggs to bowl, beat with a fork
  • Add coconut water, vanilla and agave nectar and mix well, I use my fork still
  • In a separate bowl (or on top of the wet mixture) blend almond flour with oat flour and baking powder with fork until flours are combined
  • Mix dry and wet ingredients
  • Pour batter by 1/4 cups onto greased skillet
  • When top of pancakes start to bubble, it’s time to flip
  • Cook for a few more minutes and it’s ready to eat!

***Update 5/2010 – this is still my favorite almond flour pancake, but after a long hiatus of making them, I made them again and packed both the almond and the oat flour and the pancakes turned out  dry.  I just updated the recipe to loosly measure the flours, since if you pack them like brown sugar (which many recipes assume with almond flour) – then the recipe won’t work!  They turned out perfectly again so no need to change the recipe.  I do add a little butter and real maple syrup on top of mine, so if you want to add more of an oil type of moisturizer to the batter, I’d try 1 tsp-1tbsp of melted coconut oil or butter, but I don’t think it’s necessary.  Also, I ran out of coconut water so today I just added 1tsp shredded unsweetened coconut to the batter, not enough for that coconutty flavor I was craving- the marzipan flavor goes away when you don’t use coconut water.  ***Toddler update: my son now prefers these oat flour crepes to this pancake recipe…but I think it’s because I always put Nutella in them:)

The first time I tried the oat flour and almond flour combination was with the Cherry Garcia Mini-Muffins.  It worked so well; I was hoping that the combination would be successful with pancakes and I can happily confirm that they’re great!  Now, if you’ve never tried almond flour before, the consistency is a little different…a little moist and mealy.  Mixed with oat flour, this is reduced substantially.  My toddler liked it.  That’ pretty huge.

{ 1 trackback }

Oat Pancakes with Watermelon, Lime & Blueberry Coulis - @ysilver - This American Bite
August 26, 2013 at 12:02 am

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jen @ MaplenCornbread July 1, 2009 at 11:57 am

Oh I love this recipe!! That top picture is GREAT!

2 stephchows July 1, 2009 at 3:45 pm

marzipan is one of my favorite things!! totally bookmarked these :)

3 jillian July 1, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I am always looking for new pancake, recipes and this sounds great!

4 JulieB July 2, 2009 at 8:01 am

Fantastic Picture! Sounds yummy.

5 Sophie July 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm

How nice it would be to wake up to this dream of a breakfast! The photo is beautiful. I like the sound of adding coconut water to pancakes, too :).

Happy 4th of July weekend!

6 jennk/cinnamonquill July 6, 2009 at 7:04 am

This is one of the best food photos I’ve seen! Coconut water? Genius!

7 Ann July 6, 2009 at 7:11 am

Why thank you! My brother took the shot, I styled and poured the maple syrup (but he moved the position of the fork…which actually made a huge difference!) I made these without coconut water and it’s actually not the same, highly recommend the coconut water! This is my favorite pic of the whole site.

8 Lauren B July 6, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Where do you get coconut water? At Whole Foods?

That is such a wonderful food photo–totally magazine worthy! I love almond and oat flour. Bookmarking these for my next pancake craving.

9 Ann July 6, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Yep! Whole Foods- or most natural food stores should have it. I bought it originally to replace electrolytes when my son was sick, but he didn’t like it – so, it has worked wonders in recipes!

10 Tanya July 13, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

11 Jose February 23, 2010 at 8:37 am

Mine turned out a bit dry and dense. I’ve tried other almond meal only pancakes which have been less so. I’m curious about the omission of butter or some sort of oil. Is it to make it lower in fat?

12 Ann February 23, 2010 at 9:33 am

Thanks for your comment, the last time I made them they were dry as well – but before I made them over and over and they were not dry- I will get to the bottom of this and make sure it is consistent! I prefer the oat mixed in with the almond flour so that it’s not as grainy and eggy as all the almond-only pancakes I’ve tried.

13 Shan July 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

Those are excellent pancakes… my husband goes nuts for them! Another amazingly delicious idea is to substitute the oat flour for brown rice flour – INCREDIBLE!! With the rice flour, you might want to add a bit more water tsp by tsp to get a good consistency. I always make a whole bunch extra and freeze them for throwing in the toaster another day – yummers!

14 Tabetha October 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

Hi! I found your blog on the internet and tried your recipe. Really good, I just wanted to offer my variation (varied out of necessity and turned out good.) I substituted spelt flour for oat flour (therefore, they weren’t gluten free) and found that they were a little too dry, so this morning I did 3/4 liquid (whole milk, though). They turned out perfectly! Also, my sister called yesterday and mentioned that many people think agave nectar is healthy, but it is actually similar to corn syrup. It is a highly processed product and it is digested by the body the same way corn syrup is. (I had no idea! I thought I would mention it here.) This morning we just used a tablespoon of organic sugar. Finally, we topped our pancakes with honey!! Yum!

15 Tabetha October 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

Oops, one more thing about agave: The fructose content in agave is 75% in agave nectar compared to 55% in corn syrup, so essentially it’s worse!

16 Ann October 11, 2010 at 10:06 am

Tabetha,
Yes, I’ve heared it all about agave – but one brand seems to have better processing than the rest so I stick to that one, whether or not that’s true. Also, I eat it in moderation – I just try to mix up my natural sugars so I’m not over-doing any of them but basically just over-doing all of them:) It’s frustrating how they prove something bad that was previously proven good, but then disprove it later. I just do moderation!

17 Tabetha November 1, 2010 at 10:11 am

Good thinking Ann! We’re back again to make these pancakes for the fifth time!

18 Kristen January 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

I just made them this morning for my husband and I, and we LOVE them! I am a huge health nut and try to make all sorts of “health” recipes… this one is on our repeat list :) Thank you for sharing!!

19 Carrie May 5, 2012 at 10:13 am

Just made these. I have VERY picky kids. They loved them and asked for more. I used just water and added 1/4 tsp baking soda. My husband thought they needed a bit more sweetener. I also mixed using my blender. I put all wet ingredients first then added dry. Mixed up perfectly and made for easy pouring. Thanks for the recipe. It’s my new favorite healthier pancake!

20 Jean August 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

Wow! I never comment, but had to THANK YOU! I may seriously have the pickiest kids in the world. And my boys went crazy! We made it with carbonated water instead of coconut, and I fried them in bacon fat. Also added 8 drops of stevia bc I used half the agave. I usually use 100% almond flour, and that is probably my downfall. The oat flour makes all the difference! THANK YOU AGAIN!!

21 Jeremy September 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

Great recipe!

22 Sasha October 12, 2013 at 11:59 am

Can’t wait to try this recipe! Can you tell me how many pancakes this recipe yields? Thanks!