Oat Flour Crepes

by Ann on June 26, 2009

oatcrepessm1 Oat Flour Crepes

Oat Flour Crepes

It’s my hazelnut chocolate thing again… well and coconut.  I guess I wasn’t done after the Nutella bars!!!  These crepes are amazing!   Honestly, delicious… just the right consistency with a hint of coconut.  The crepes are nourishing, but what you choose to put in is is where it ends up really being healthy or not.  I chose to put a thin layer of Nutella (making it less healthy of course) with some strawberries and bananas.  Excellent combination.  However, it would be mighty tasty with almond butter, strawberries and bananas.  Or even a thin layer of cheese.  I think the cheese would work nicely with the coconut – a little sweet and savory.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup oat flour (gluten-free if you buy gluten-free oat flour or oats and grind them)
  • 2/3 cup light coconut milk
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • 1 1/2 Tb melted coconut oil
  • 1 Tb agave nectar

Method:

• Whisk coconut oil with coconut milk, add eggs and whisk together, add agave and mix
  • Add oat flour and mix with blender on high.  Without using a blender, the oat flour is too lumpy – there isn’t much gluten in oat flour so you shouldn’t need to worry about over-mixing and making it tough – but if you substitute another flour, take that into consideration (another flour may not be as lumpy as oat flour anyway)
  • Pre-heat a large pan on medium-high and add some grease (butter, spray, coconut oil, whatnot)
  • Add scant 1/4 cup to 1/4 cup of batter, move pan around a little to spread batter (OR, use a crepe maker if you’re cool enough to have one, I am not) – flip when edges start to brown slightly – leave on pan for about 30 seconds and crepe should be done!

Add your favorite crepe toppings and delight your taste-buds.

Did you notice the plate?  It says CHOW!  I found it at Super Target and although it’s normally something I wouldn’t buy, I just couldn’t resist.  Perfect!

ALSO…today’s the day I’m announcing the winner of the Stonyfield Farm YoBaby contest!  Random.org picked #5, and excluding my comments, Gina wins!  Congratulations Gina!  And thanks for commenting.

{ 1 trackback }

Healthy breakfast crepes, a Mothers Day meal so easy a kid could make it « Health Fitness Support
May 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 French Cooking for Dummies June 26, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Yum…These crepes are mouthwatering :-D

2 Marlow June 27, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I’m so glad I looked at TasteSpotting today!! I actually was at Whole Foods and saw a package of crepes BUT I’m gluten free!! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

3 stephchows June 29, 2009 at 8:01 am

mmmmmm these look so good! and of course I love the plate hehe. As for John’s blog post… haha here’s an example of the last time he posted :) He’s a great toss everything together to make a meal cook, love it :)

4 Sophie June 29, 2009 at 8:15 am

Very pretty crepes. I have never made them before, I like the filling you chose! I have been seeing this oat flour everywhere, I’m so anxious to try it…and these crepes :).

5 jennk/cinnamonquill June 30, 2009 at 6:09 am

Thank you for your ultra kind comment! It is honestly a huge compliment; definitely made my day!

I found GF oat flour on Amazon, which means I can finally make a bunch of your oat flour recipes :-D Oat flour crepes sound lovely…!

6 HannahBanana aka Amanda July 9, 2009 at 10:36 am

Your recipes are wonderful…and so is your photography!

7 alissa July 22, 2009 at 4:33 pm

i am so happy i went back these look terrific and just what i need – thanks so much!! The picture is lovely

8 Cathi February 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Ok, These look Great!. . .Do you have any ideas for crepes or pancakes that are made from Coconut and Nut Flours. I have often thought that Macademia nut flour would make a great tasting crepe, pancake, waffle, muffin or cookie. The reason I ask is that Oats can be a problem for me, and I am a Low Carb, Gluten Free, and Soy free eater for many years, and I have been looking for a great tasting, Crepe, pancake, waffle recepe for a long time that are Low Carb, but NON SOY or GLUTENS. I have tried many ideas that just havn’t worked and thought perhaps you might figure a receipe for me. Thank you for your help.

9 Ann February 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Ya know, I’ve been meaning to make a pancake with coconut flour mixed with another kind but it’s so finicky that i haven’t tried yet! (haven’t liked anyone elses recipes so far for coconut flour pancakes) I’m totally in the mood for pancakes again so I will have to play around with it, I’ll also have to find some macadamia nut flour! I have a mixed almond and oat flour pancake which rice flour may work in place of the oat- but I need to re-work that since if the almond flour is mis-measured (packed too tightly) then the pancakes are dry. Lots of pancake work to do!!!

10 Jose February 26, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I forgot to mention that I made these the same day as the pancakes (savory crepes without the agave nectar filled with kale and shredded cheese). They’re great. I loved the coconut flavor. I was a little impatient and turned one over too early and it broke but they were really nice otherwise. I will be making these again. Thanks!

11 Ann February 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Yum! I have made these so many times but never got past the nutella- I’ll have to try savory sometime!