Archer Farms Gelato…Imported From Italy

by Ann on August 19, 2011

How did I not see this before?  I’m at Target three times a week sometimes!  At least once per week I look at the ice creams/gelato selections and rarely purchase anything since it’s either not good or not even close to natural.  Today, I stumbled upon Archer Farms Imported From Italy Gelato.  Yes.  Seriously.  Ok – I know there are a couple of frozen gelato brands already- but I don’t like either one of them.  The flavors and the textures just aren’t right.  One by one Omaha’s not very good and not authentic gelato places have shut down.  Even though they weren’t that great- they were still fun places to go and bring your kids sometimes.  At gelato places, the serving size is reasonable – not monstrous.  Plus, you get those adorable little spoons.  I freaking love those cute little spoons.

Anyway – on my second trip to Target in two days, today I finally noticed the gelato!  The clouds parted, I heard the angels sing.  Do you hear it?  Wait a second – you’re probably in your car right now driving to Target.  $4.99 a pop, and we tried three kinds.  I bought the coconut – where half is coconut gelato, the other half pineapple, with coconut on top.  I also got the tiramisu kind – the top of it is dusted heavily with ground up espresso beans – pretty presentations.  My mom bought the pistachio flavor- the top is covered in chopped pistachios.  I really wanted to try cherry amaretto as well, but $15 on gelato in one day – if the stuff is gross, would’ve felt like such a waste.  It would not have been a waste though- I’ll wager on that.  The tiramisu gelato is to die for.  AWESOME!  Seriously.  I’m pretty sure the folks over at Target must’ve read my blog post about being disappointed in the change to the imported from Italy four cheese pizza – so they made it up to me with some awesome gelato.  Thanks guys:)  The tiramisu flavored gelato is right-on.  Just the perfect balance of flavors for the frozen variation of this treat.

The Coconut is very yummy- I really liked the pineapple flavor side of it mixed with the coconut on top.  It doesn’t taste like a pina colada – but like pineapple gelato with coconut…what it is.  The Italians are pretty good with the purity of their flavors and not messing it up like we do half the time.  Why didn’t I go to college in Italy when my Dad was pushing me to go there?  Kicking myself…for the millionth time.

The Pistachio flavor is also good – maybe a little too creamy for me – but maybe not.  We tried all three at the same time and I may have ruined my experience with the intense espresso flavor of the Tiramisu.  My 4 year old actually preferred the Tiramisu one as well.  At first he though the ground espresso beans was chocolate – and took a huge bite.  But he’s my son so he actually liked it of course.  So after that I made him eat only the gelato/lady finger portion – which he loved as well.  He’s sleeping now while I’m a little wired.  I think I ate too much espresso.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ellen October 10, 2011 at 11:30 am

I live in Minneapolis and just discovered the Archer Farms gelato as well! Have tried the Cherry Amaretto and Dulce de Leche. Both EXCELLENT!! The Dulce de Leche has just a hint of a “butterscotch” flavor instead of caramel–at least to my taste buds. Cherry Amaretto just the right mixture of amaretto with cherry. Both light and fluffy. Now I will have to try the Tiramisu and Pistachio as well!

I prefer the Archer Farms brand over the others in the freezer.

2 Mamma mia October 12, 2011 at 11:10 pm

The amaretto cherry is amazing! Watch out for the cherries on top. Very strong flavor.

3 Donnalee Geiger January 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I discovered the Triple Chocolate, Amaretto Cherry and the pineapple coconut all in one sitting! It is to die for….they also carry Ciao Bella brand which is excellent also….the Belgian Chocolate! I am a huge Target fan and I am a weekly shopper there pretty much and this is the first time I actually came across it! Maybe because it is always out of product, I don’t know…..but I love it….now when I find it I will stock up! Delicious, indeed.

4 Kilowatt76 February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m traveling on business and stumbled across the Archer Farms tiramisu gelato. I must say this is the best tasting gelato I have ever had. I had to stop myself eating it and noticed I almost made my way through half the container. I highly recommend this!!!!!!!!

5 Rachel March 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I can say from first hand experience last night that the amaretto cherry kind is absolutely amazing as well. I could have ate the whole container in one sitting had I not agreed to give my husband some :)

6 Ann March 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Rachel, I NEED to try that! I’m only at Target twice a day and summer is coming:)

7 Sharmin March 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Anyone knows if the any of the archer farms gelato is vailable in targets at NY?

8 Stan April 5, 2012 at 1:35 am

Sharmin, there should be availability now in your state on the archer farm gelatos as they expanded the number of outlets that now have it. My cousin found it at a smaller Target near her home in a different state, where they did not have it before in the last 2 weeks. Nom nom nom….

9 Paulette May 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm

My friend in Centerville VA introduced me to Archer Farms Gelato. I bought the pistachio flavor in Panama City on vacation, but can’t find it at home in San Antonio…still looking. I can’t wait to try the tiramisu and cherry flavors.

10 Chase June 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

I agree with you about the other brands of gelato not tasting authentic…. or good for that matter. I did find a brand in Omaha that’s TO DIE FOR! Have you tried G.S. Gelato? I found them in Hy-Vee and wowww. I haven’t tried Archer Farms (will have to keep my eyes peeled, I generally don’t shop the grocery aisles) but G.S. has amazing flavors and they are so vibrant and clean. I definitely recommend them!

11 Ann June 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Chase, thank you, love this advice! Honestly, I may have seen it but not given it a second thought given the track-record – but I will now try it! DO NOT buy the chocolate hazelnut Archer Farm’s gelato- I tried it today – the worst- both kids even spit it out. Crazy. Hazelnut gelato is my favorite and this didn’t hold up in the slightest.

12 Val August 31, 2012 at 10:05 pm

We tried the Triple Chocolate Gelato tonight. Delicious!! One half is intense, dark chocolate, and the other half is white chocolate. Both sides have chocolate swirls and shaved chocolate on top. Amazing, and can’t wait to try the Tiramasu and other flavors now.

13 ButtaflyPoet November 25, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I am sooooo glad that Archer Farms is my first gelato experience. I’ve heard so much abt it and decided to try at home vs. ordering at a restaurant I got the pistacio and am in love with the gelato texture, flavor and pallot pleasing party!! Best 5 bucks spent on a market dessert

14 Kelly November 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Oh man! Perhaps you got a bad batch of the chocolate hazlenut? I just bought it today and think it’s delicious!!

15 Karen McAuliffe December 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I just discovered Archer Farms gelato. I purchased the Amaretto Cherry. Now, I have had gelato in Italy and would return just for the gelato. Now I don’t have to.

I don’t buy groceries at Target, but I will add the gelato to my must haves. One other product I buy is TimTams. It’s half cookie, half cracker. (Google Tim Tam Slam video). This is the only way to eat it.

16 Katie Kephart July 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I just saw an ad for this in Real Simple Magazine. It suggested to drizzle ev olive oil over the pistachio gelato and then sprinkle with sea salt. Yum! Can’t wait to try it.

17 Robin August 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I agree with Ann. I just tried the chocolate hazelnut swirl. I was so excited to bust into it as chocolate/hazelnut gelato is my absolute favorite dessert! I can’t begin to explain how disappointed I was. I can neither taste hazelnut, nor very much chocolate. Don’t waste your time (or calories) on this one. That tiramisu above may be worth checking out. I think I will give it a shot. Chocolate hazelnut swirl– epic fail. :(