Nutella Puppy Chow
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup Nutella
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (use semi-sweet or dark, milk would be far too sweet and you’d lose the chocolate flavor)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 13 cups (more or less) or one 12oz box of hearty wheat/corn/rice cereal like Crispix or Chex – try to find a hearty version so it doesn’t break down when stirring (try to find one without preservatives, just read the ingredients on the side of the box)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a 350 degree preheated oven, roast hazelnuts until fragrant and light brown, about 8 minutes
- Allow to cool and remove as much of the skin as you can with a towel
- Grind finely in a food processor, if you don’t have one, a coffee grinder should work
- Put the cereal in a large bowl
- On a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter, chocolate, and white chocolate, stirring constantly
- When all is melted, remove from heat and add Nutella and stir until mixed in, then add hazelnuts and stir well.
- Slowly pour over cereal, wash your hands, and stir with your hands! It’s much easier than with a spoon. This may take some time since the batter is thick, but if you’re patient, you’ll get the lovely thickly coated ones. The cereal that breaks clumps together with the topping and there’s no harm done in that!
- Wash those hands and add the cereal to a gallon sized plastic baggie, add the powdered sugar and shake shake shake! I like to start with less powdered sugar and slowly add it – too much powdered sugar and that’s all you taste! You just want that white coating right after the light brown stage – not to over-do the sweetness.