You may ask yourself, how does coconut oil work as a vinaigrette? When you put it in the fridge, does it solidify? Well, I have the answer to both of those questions now! Tropical Traditions was kind enough to send me some of their Gold Label coconut oil to try out along with a copy of their book (and sponsor a GIVEAWAY, look below). I’m very happy with this oil in fact. It really is rich and delicious! If you like the strong flavor of coconut in your coconut oil like I do, this is perfect. I did flip through the book – there is so much information on coconut oil and the process that they use and the company’s history (ummmm, I haven’t read it all yet but I did watch this video which is pretty interesting). The book has plenty of different recipes and two popped out that I HAD to try right away! Simple vinaigrette and mayonnaise. I’m excited!
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/8 cup coconut oil, liquefied (I used Tropical Traditions:)
3/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp agave nectar
10 cups cabbage mix/coleslaw (was feeling lazy, I used a bag of mixed shredded cabbage/carrots and a bag of pre-shredded red cabbage totaling roughly 10 cups) – but you can shred whatever cabbages and carrots you feel like shredding
1/8 cup roasted, salted, shelled sunflower seeds
Whisk vinegar, agave nectar, salt and pepper until salt dissolves
Slowly add oils, whisking away
Allow to stand 5 minutes, taste and adjust to your liking, whisk again
If you’re serving the whole thing, add the dressing to the cabbage mix and then add the sunflower seeds, mix well. Otherwise, just put some of the vinaigrette on your cabbage mix and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
If you’re interested in some great information about coconut oil, you can check out these links: this one or this one. There’s lots of great information about potential health benefits, the flavor is fantastic, and it works as an alternative to awful-for-you shortening. I just love the flavor it adds to the things I’m cooking – sweet or savory. Coconut oil fried potatoes are amazing and so simple!
***GIVEAWAY RULES: To win a free quart of Tropical Traditions coconut oil, sign-up for their newsletter http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/subscribe_for_special_sales.cfm, and comment below so I know you signed on. I’ll use random.org to pick the winner Wednesday, July 15th.
***Tropical Traditions also has a Referral Program, so if you place an order with them as a first-time customer, please select “Referred by a friend” and in the box that says “How did you hear of us?” enter my sponsor ID number… 5254567. By telling Tropical Traditions that I referred you, you will receive a complimentary copy of the book Virgin Coconut Oil: How it has changed people’s lives and how it can change yours! by Brian and Marianita Shilhavy with your first order! This book is filled with testimonies and research showing how healthy coconut oil is, and it also includes over 85 recipes showing how one can incorporate coconut into their diet.
Here are some easy to use directions for your referrals:
1. Add the items you would like to purchase from the order form linked to Tropical Traditions. Visit www.healthybuyersclub.com/orderform.cfm
2. You’ll be directed to the Order Form at the Tropical Traditions/Healthy Buyers Club website. You do not have to be a member or purchase a membership to buy from Tropical Traditions. Membership in the Healthy Buyers Club allows you to purchase in bulk amount at club member discounts if you choose to join. If you choose not to purchase a membership to the Healthy Buyers Club please order under the heading “Retail Sale Items”. This will enable you to purchase less than case amounts of any of the individual items without a membership.
3. Select the items you would like to purchase.
4. When you are ready to check out please click on the “Continue” link which will take you to your shopping cart.
5. Review your order and then click on the “Check Out” button from your shopping cart.
6. Fill in your account information as directed. In the box: “How did you hear of us?” you must select: “Referred by a friend” on the drop down arrow. When you make this selection, a box for your sponsor’s User ID number should appear if you are a first time customer.
7. Enter your sponsor’s User ID number.
8. To complete your order click on “Save and Proceed to Checkout” at the bottom of this page and follow the instructions through the checkout process. You will receive an order number when you have successfully placed your order.
By following these steps, you will receive a complimentary copy of the book Virgin Coconut Oil: How it has changed people’s lives and how it can change yours! by Brian and Marianita Shilhavy. Your sponsor will receive a coupon for a complimentary gift. These will vary from month to month.
Those with additional questions about taking advantage of the referral program when creating their new account may call toll free 866-311-2626 Ext. 2.
Disclosure: I was provided free product from Tropical Traditions